Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 8: Runnin' Down a Dream


Remember to donate here:   http://mobro.co/stevedasgupta

Though I am currently raising money for men's health and Movember, it's with sadness that I must announce that I have been an absolutely perfect model for unhealthy living. For the past few weeks, I have:
  • Drank more coffee than water.
  • Scavenged for leftover pizza from various club/group/association meetings on campus. (This is essentially the grad school equivalent of being a bum and rummaging through trash cans.)
  • Avoided strenuous exercise like the plague.
  • Eaten almost exclusively at restaurants, made possible by the dirt cheap rent I am paying for my sweet attic (See end of my Day 5 Entry).
  • Embarked on a three day drunkfest at the end of last week.
In spite of all of these events which suggest that I should be ballooning in size, I have somehow lost 11 pounds since school started. I think it's largely because I am eating much less overall (but cold pizza when I do), and walking to and from school everyday with a backpack that most of my fellow students suspect "contains my life."

But tonight, I declared war on my unhealthy lifestyle. My thought process was simply: "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. It's Movember and I'm determined to get in shape. And it's going to happen in ONE NIGHT!"  So I went running.

Now, when I run, I outfit myself very specifically. And one thing I never leave home without  is a pair of compression socks.  These things are amazing. A few years ago I used to knock out 10 mile runs easily, but then my body broke down while marathon training. This brought foot problems, back problems, shin splints, you name it. But the compression socks fixed the feet and shins!

Anyway, when I showed up at Liz's place ready to run, she looked at me and said:

"No hay trabajo aquí, señor," implying that I looked like a Mexican day laborer in search of work.



After she made fun of my awesome stache, she got deathly serious, and said:

"I am not going out with you dressed like that."



"But Liz, we are going running- my socks are function over fashion!"

"Clearly" she replied.

After running, we went to the local Whole Foods and she really pleaded with me to leave my socks in the car or at least roll them down. But, because I enjoy being a contrarian, I pulled my socks up as high as they went and strolled into the store- LIKE A BOSS.


The mustache is coming along people! It's really happening!