Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 27: Daydreaming Paralysis


The amount of time I have spent distracted today is absurd. I am beginning to think I have one of those attention deficit disorders. This morning, I made it through my Marketing class, only to completely hit the wall in Stats. It does not help that Stats is ungodly boring. I don't believe there it is possible to make that class interesting. God only knows how I survived so many other equivalently boring quantitative classes on my way to (somehow) getting an engineering degree.

During Stats today, my thoughts were skipping around like a pinball machine.


Thoughts During Stats Class Today (presented chronologically)
  1. Okay. I'm going to pay attention today.
  2. I'm going to pay attention today.
  3. Wait... I already know this this stuff.
  4. I'm going to check Washington Post for a second.
  5. Oh shit... What's going on?
  6. God I hate Minitab. I'll just teach this to myself later.
  7. Why do I come to this class?
  8. Oh right... because I'm paying $100,000 for this degree.
  9. Other people seem to be paying attention... What's wrong with me?
  10. Seriously... EVERYONE else is paying attention...
  11. Wait. ARE they paying attention?
  12. It looks cold outside.
  13. When do birds sleep? Is it too cold for them right now?
  14. Oh my God... $100,000.
  15. I need an internship or something to start paying back my tuition...
  16. Why do I come to this class? 
  17. Oh right... because I'm paying $100,00---------------------- 
ERROR! Oh shit... my brain has hit a circular reference!

This is essentially daydreaming paralysis- the point at which the thousands of thoughts in your head mount an Invasion of Normandy on your productivity, rendering you completely immobile. 

We have come to kill your productivity!

As a matter of fact, I am in one of those ruts as I type, and I am really hoping that this blog is my escape pod back to a land where I can find my concentration and motivation!







1 comment:

Alix said...

Funnily enough, Steve, this is exactly how stats class plays out in my grad school program, also. How is it possible to make a class SO AWFUL?