Sunday, November 11, 2012

Day 10: Send FEMA to my room


Remember to donate here:   http://mobro.co/stevedasgupta



The other day, Liz unfortunately stopped by my house- It's the first time that she had come over in a couple weeks due to both of our crazy schedules. Usually it's just easier for me to go to her place. The reason I say that her visit was unfortunate was because my room is a DISASTER. In fact, I wrote my state Senators (Mark Warner & Jim Webb) last week asking them to divert Federal funds my way for the inevitable cleanup operation that will need to take place (over Thanksgiving break, I tell myself). My letter stated that the mess in my room was a direct result of Hurricane Sandy, but I have yet to receive a reply. Poor form Senators, poor form.

When Liz arrived, we surveyed the devastation. She looked disgusted. I couldn't blame her. When Mother Nature unleashes her wrath on your living space, anger and disgust are very natural feelings. But Liz, bless her heart, helped me to begin picking up the pieces. 

Hot Leathers American Flag Bandana
As we picked through the rubble, she pulled an American Flag bandanna out form a pile of clothes littering the ground. 

"Steve, what the fuck IS this?" she asked, holding the bandanna. "You found it!" I exclaimed, a tear coming to my eye. And on we went, pulling items from the wreckage. At one point I asked Liz: "Do these jeans look... I don't know... worn down? I've had them for 6 years but I paid a good bit of money for them and so I don't want to get rid of them."

Liz: "Umm... well, they are stonewashed."
Me: "Yeah, what does that mean?"
Liz: "Well... do you see people wearing stonewashed jeans anymore?"
Me: "Umm... I mean... I don't know- who cares."
Liz: "No, no you don't. You don't see stonewashed jeans anymore."
Me: "So I should get rid of them?
Liz: (Sighing and holding her face in her hands) "Do you like them?"
Me: "Yeah..."
Liz: (Reluctantly and pained) "Then keep them..."  

In times of trouble and frustration, support is priceless.

No comments: