Friday, November 5, 2010

Weekend Travels Have Minimized the Blogging Effort! Part 2/2

Alright!  Part 2 of my travels brought me to Philly two weekends ago. 

The trip was oriented around a concert (I saw Phoenix), but the highlight of the trip was the Philadelphia Magic Gardens.  If you EVER go to Philly, you MUST check this place out!  It costs a few bucks, takes about an hour, but leaves an impression!  It's truly one of a kind...

Alright... so what is it?  Well, it's this house (a rowhome) and some adjacent courtyards that this dude (an artist) has completely pimped out in mosaic.  

Here's the basement.  Totally sweet.  Awesome mosaic stuff on the walls and ceiling.   

This is one of the alleys... 

 In the courtyard, there are numerous stairways and arches built... out of bottles, bike wheels, and... who knows what else!

This picture didn't come out so hot, but it's the entire side of an adjacent rowhome... So, that mosaic is basically 40' tall by 50' or so?

This is my favorite picture that came from there... You can see the arches that were built on the left, and the cool art that forms the face just to the right of the picture's center...

I got a little bit artsy with the picture taking-  The funny thing though is that this picture inadvertently captured my girlfriend's reflection... She was standing a good 10' from me...

Naturally I had to have her replicate the procedure to take my fragmented picture!

Another alley just outside the house...

Again, this is in the alley.  I don't know who painted their garage door like this, but God bless you Sir or Madam...  You are truly great.  

This was completely separate from the Magic Gardens (not even a block away), and gated off to the public, but it looks to be another work by the same artist...

In summary, check this place out! 

No comments: