Friday, November 26, 2010

Flannel Returns With a Vengeance

Flannel is back.  Flannel is back with a fiery vengeance.  Or... flannely vengeance. This excites me because I am a *huge* advocate of flannel.

Flannel is casual elegance.  Like check out Mary-Kate here:


Casual, yet elegant.  But holy fuck, that bag looks like she skinned a fucking grizzly bear.

You know what else flannel is?


It's relentlessly mind-blowing, just like Kurt Cobain.  That's probably why he wore it.  Because he recognized that he and flannel shared a similar character trait.

Anyway, over the past several weeks, I have started seeing flannel more and more.  In bars, stores, at parties, etc etc etc.  It's making a comeback in a big way.  Since the last time flannel was "in" was the mid to late 90s, I expect that many of you have found yourselves in the same predicament that I was in last week.  I know what you are going through:

You probably walked to your closet and took a look inside.  You vividly remembered the warmth and coziness of flannel shirts that you wore in the 90s.  You thought to yourself "I have got to have those shirts somewhere around here!"  But you came up empty.  You must have gotten rid of them while in a state of temporary insanity.  "What will I do?!" you screamed! 


Well let me tell you what I did.  I reloaded.  I headed to the store and restocked my flannel supply:


I picked up three shirts and am very happy with my purchase but I really think I'm going to need more... like... soon.  Flannel is, I imagine, very much like heroin.  It makes you feel really warm and you get hooked on it.  Anyway, I've worn two of the above shirts so far and the response has been largely enthusiastic, though it has also inspired my girlfriend to poke fun at me (only because she is flannel-less).

Well I have this to say to my girlfriend:  You already know that flannel is casual elegance and relentlessly mind-blowing, but do you know what else what flannel is?


It's happiness.  Pure and unfiltered.

Check out this grainy couple for instance.  Do you honestly think they would be this happy if they weren't wearing flannel?  They wouldn't be.  No way.

So join the party-  get some flannel and flaunt that shit!  Everybody's doing it!

No comments: