Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Recombobulation


This is a post about discombobulation.

Dict.org (the best dictionary website EVER) says that discombobulation is a "feeling of embarrassment that leaves you confused."

This sign is at Milwaukee's airport.  I took a nice leisurely stroll under it as I cleared through security at 4:45 AM the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The "Recombobulation Area" is very aptly named because ever since 9/11, I feel totally lost when I have to separate my entire life into a series of plastic bins:

Bin 1:  Belt and shoes and assorted things from pockets (lint, coins, chapstick, miscellaneous receipts, oh and sweet, I just found a $5 bill I didn't know I had!)
Bin 2:  Laptop and case
Bin 3:  Jacket
Bin 4:  Backpack
Bin 5:  Liquids and gels

I know five bins is a lot but I had one particular experience where a TSA agent from hell had a major bin fetish in addition to the fact that he was one of those "holier than thou" people.  He actually directed me to roll my belt up "like a snake" because it was at risk of "snagging the machine."  Now this for some reason enraged me, and i thought:  WHAT.  AN.  ASSHOLE.  It doesn't matter how my belt is oriented in a bin as long as it's in the goddamn thing!  It's an inanimate object that is not going to suddenly come alive, hellbent on bringing the gears of the x-ray machine to a grinding halt!  

Now.  If I had a candlestick, clock, or tea kettle, I would understand his concern.  That shit does come alive-  and with attitude.  But, we were talking about a belt.  


Going through security these days really makes you aware of just how much shit we all are carrying on ourselves!  This most recent time in Milwaukee I felt like Link.  You know how it is.  You get your boomerang, shield, sword, hookshot, some fairies, etc.  Where does it all go?  You don't even know- but you DO know that it just "works."

Don't know who created this image originally, but... AWESOME.

So as I packed up my belongings (I did not have a bomb of course.  But I did have my ocaraina.),  I saw the sign.  I found it funny, and as it turns out, the "Recombobulation Area" was intended to be a joke (Article from 2008).   Good job Milwaukee!  

No comments: