Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fresh Dose of New Music: 6 Sweet Songs

Since my blog has absolutely zero thematic consistency, I thought I would try and establish some sort of reoccurring music post. How reoccurring? No idea, but it will occur again. This I guarantee. Here are some songs that I have been very into lately… Not all of these are necessarily “New” though:

Smashing Pumpkins – Once Upon a Time

This song is incredibly mellow. I think when I bought “Adore” a long time ago, I really underappreciated it because I’ve been listening to it quite a lot lately and enjoying it a ton! Last week I saw the Pumpkins (sans D’arcy & James) in DC and they played this song- it sounded so amazing that I didn’t know why I had ignored it for so long!


Smashing Pumpkins – Shame

Another song off of “Adore” that I didn’t appreciate it until it was played live. This was played when I saw the Pumpkins in North Carolina and at the 9:30 club in DC last year- Like I said, I completely underappreciated it before. In a weird way, it sortof reminds me of the song “Drown” because there are undertones of that same “Drown”-like feedback…


Junior Boys – In the Morning

I heard this song for the first time just a week ago- It was playing just before the Pumpkins came on stage in DC. I pestered Nichole like 50 times to figure out who sang it. She did. Thank goodness because I was searching for it thinking the title was “Too Young” (a repeated phrase in the song).


Sufjan Stevens- Come On! Feel the Illinoise!

Okay… I may be getting this song confused with one of his other songs “Chicago,” but I’m pretty sure I intend to mention this one. I could just confirm this via iTunes but I’m lazy. Anyhoo, this song rocks. Right around the 2:40 mark, it completely transitions into what seems like a separate song, and I LOVE when that happens (See “Reptilia” by the Strokes, although that one bounces back and forth between two “songs”). I see this song rapidly storming up my Top 40 Most Played iTunes tracks. Ironically, I have had this album for a while but never listened to it because I thought it would pale in comparison to the Michigan album. Now, I listen to this track all the time but nothing else off of it because I think it will pale in comparison. What can I say? I’m a complex individual.



Beatles- Do You Want to Know a Secret?

Somehow, I never had heard this song because I never had the Beatles’ first album, “Please please me.” But this song rocks. If it were to be released now, it’d be tacky. But it’s the Beatles so I guess they’re off-limits for criticizing, and can’t be considered tacky.

Ron Browz- Pop Champagne

I’ve listed five truly good songs so I deserve to mention one that is bad and a guilty pleasure- this one. I usually hate trashy hip hop songs like this but my god this song is HOT YO!

Yeah... I dunno.

No comments: