Friday, October 9, 2009

1/2 Marathon Fuel

I'm running a half marathon tomorrow! In spite of marathon "rules" prohibiting headphones, a ton of people wear them during the race- I plan to be one of them. To amp myself up for this 13.1 mile scamper through Baltimore, I have created the following meticulously crafted playlist:

1. Nirvana- Dive
2. Nine Inch Nails- March of the Pigs
3. Bloc Party- One Month Off
4. Soundgarden- Rusty Cage
5. Smashing Pumpkins- Bury Me
Songs #1-#5 are loud, distorted, and fast paced (in the case of #2-4). Listening to them, my body will have no choice but to kick into overdrive and to start pumping out competitive juices.
6. The Roots- The Seed 2.0
7. Raekwon/Wu-Tang- House of Flying Daggers
8. Jay Z/Drake- Off That
Song #6 seems like a good time to switch the genre from rock to hip-hop... That said, what better way to make the switch than with this Roots song which I would argue is one of the best hip-hop songs ever recorded. Following up the Roots, we have Raekwon & Wu-Tang, and Jay Z and Drake, all of who will brag about how bad-ass they are. By the associative theory of music listening, I will be bad-ass too by listening to their songs... or something like that...
9. Static X- Wisconsin Death Trip
After a few hip-hop songs, it will be necessary to throw in a Static X song for no other reason but to ensure that my heartrate is cranking at 500 BPM.
10. The Whip- Trash
11. The Whip- Muzzle #1
At Songs #10 and 11, we'll be around the 1/3 point in the race, and it will be necessary to make sure that I am keeping a steady pace... Hence, two beat-driven songs by the Whip to keep me moving steadily.
12. Rage- Vietnow
13. Rage- Tire Me
14. Pearl Jam- Do the Evolution
After The Whip, we'll need some more ROCK to spike up the adrenaline again... Should any have been lost since Static X, it will be regained after these 3 burners.
15. The Klaxons (Soulwax Remix)- Gravity's Rainbow
16. Basement Jaxx- Rendez-vu
17. MIA- Bucky Done Gone
Time for some high-tempo electronic stuff with plenty of BEAT to it! These three songs total 16 minutes and have such sick beats that they make you almost run effortlessly...
18. Lil'Wayne/Kanye/Eminem/Drake- Forever
19. Living Colour- Which Way to America?
20. Maximo Park- Postcard of a Painting
21. The Misfits- Helena
Songs #18 through 21 are all about variety! I've got hip-hop, rock, indie rock, and punk rock. A smorgisbord of genres to ensure that I'm not getting bored at all!
22. Motorhead- Ace of Spades
23. Motorhead- Love Me Like a Reptile
24. Nine Inch Nails- Discipline
25. Pixies- Debaser
26. Placebo- Second Sight
27. The Presets- Kicking and Screaming
28. Red Hot Chili Peppers- Give It Away
29. Metallica- Fuel
Songs #22-29 are all about the final stretch! They total 27 minutes and I intend to run this last part of the race like a bat out of hell! I've found that Motorhead is the perfect spark for doing so! And what better way to conclude than with RHCP and Metallica?!

29 songs, 2 hours.

If I can't finish in this time, I'm going to kick my own ass. And if I'm running ahead of schedule, then I will skip a song here or there...

Time to pound some more water before I run this thing!

No comments: